How to Quickly Fix QuickBooks error 6147?
QuickBooks is a popular accounting software used by many businesses for managing their financial operations. While QuickBooks is an excellent tool, users can sometimes encounter errors that can affect their productivity. One such error is QuickBooks Error 6147, which occurs when the software is unable to open the company file. This error can interrupt the ongoing task and sometimes even prevent the users from running QuickBooks. However, in this article, we’ll guide you through the causes of QuickBooks Error 6147 and provide you with step-by-step instructions to resolve the issue.
QuickBooks Error 6147 is a company file issue that happens when you try to open a corrupted or missing company file. This mistake belongs to the 6xxx series. It occurs when QBs are unable to restore a backup file from a local device or system. This can be caused by a variety of factors, which we will address later in the text. When you observe error 6147, you must ensure that your QuickBooks is up to date in order to prevent the error from recurring.
What is QuickBooks error 6147?
QuickBooks error 6147 appears on the screen when you try to access the company file but fail. The error message for the erro code 6147 says that,
We’re sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open your file.
We’ll try to fix the problem. Click Start to begin.
If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report error codes:
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6147
QuickBooks Error 6147 occurs when the software is unable to open the company file. This error 6147 can be caused by various reasons, including
- Corrupt or damaged company file: If the company file is damaged or corrupted, QuickBooks may fail to open it, resulting in Error 6147.
- Incorrect file extension: QuickBooks requires specific file extensions to open the company file. If the file extension is incorrect, the software may fail to open the file.
- Incorrect file location: If the company file is not stored in the correct location, QuickBooks may not be able to access it.
- Outdated QuickBooks version: If you’re using an outdated version of QuickBooks, you may encounter Error 6147.
Read more – About Quickbooks Error 6210
How to resolve QuickBooks Error 6147
Here are the resolutions that you can follow to resolve QuickBooks Error 6147:
Step 1: Restore a backup of the company file
If the company file is damaged or corrupted, you can try restoring a backup of the file. Here’s how to do it:
- Open QuickBooks and scroll down to the File menu.
- Select Utilities > Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Again go to the File menu and select Backup Company > Create Local Backup.
- Choose a location to save the backup file and click Save.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to create the backup.
- Once the backup is complete, go to the File menu and select Restore Company > Restore a Backup Copy.
- Choose the location where the backup file is stored and select it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to restore the backup.
Step 2: Rename the .TLG and .ND files
The .TLG and .ND files are temporary files used by QuickBooks to open the company file. If these files are corrupted or damaged, QuickBooks may fail to open the file. Renaming these files can sometimes resolve the issue. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the folder that has your company file stored.
- Locate the .TLG and .ND files and rename them to [filename].OLD.
- Restart QuickBooks and try opening the company file again.
Step 3: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
The QuickBooks File Doctor is a tool designed to diagnose and fix issues with the company file. Running the QuickBooks File Doctor can sometimes resolve QuickBooks Error 6147. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official QuickBooks website.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub and go to the Company File Issues tab.
- Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor and select the company file.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to run the tool.
Read more – About error initializing qbpos application log
The above-mentioned steps will help you rectify the QuickBooks error 6147 easily. You can also opt for other methods like running the verify and rebuild utility, configuring the firewall settings, renaming the company file name and changing its location etc. In case, you need assistance while performing these tasks, you can connect with our QuickBooks Support team at +1-(855)-955-1942 Data Service Solutions.