Sangeeta Phogat: The Inspiring Journey of a Woman Wrestler from India
Sangeeta Phogat is a wrestler from the Bhiwani district of Haryana, India. She belongs to the Phogat family, who are well-known for their contribution to wrestling in India. Sangeeta has made a name for herself in the sport and is recognized for her exceptional skills and hard work.
Early Life and Childhood:
Sangeeta was born on 5th March 1998 in Balali, Haryana, to Mahavir Singh Phogat and Daya Kaur. She is the youngest of six siblings, all of whom are wrestlers. Sangeeta was introduced to wrestling at a young age by her father and received training from him and her elder sisters. She showed an interest in the sport and began participating in local competitions.
Career in Wrestling:
Sangeeta Phogat began her wrestling career at the age of 14 and participated in the junior national wrestling championships. She won a bronze medal in the 2014 Commonwealth Games and a silver medal in the 2015 Junior Asian Championships. Sangeeta also won a bronze medal in the 2016 Asian Wrestling Championships and a gold medal in the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
In 2019, Sangeeta Phogat was selected to represent India at the World Wrestling Championships. She made it to the quarterfinals but lost to the eventual gold medalist. Sangeeta has also participated in the Pro Wrestling League and won the gold medal in the 2017 edition.
Sangeeta Phogat has faced several challenges in her journey as a wrestler. One of the biggest challenges was the criticism and ridicule she faced from some members of her community who believed that wrestling was not a sport for women. However, Sangeeta persevered and continued to pursue her passion. She also had to deal with injuries, which are common in contact sports like wrestling. Sangeeta faced a setback in her career when she failed to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Sangeeta Phogat is a fitness enthusiast and spends a lot of time in the gym. She is also interested in yoga and adventure sports. Sangeeta is married to Bajrang Punia, a well-known Indian wrestler who has also won several medals at the international level.
Sangeeta Phogat’s journey as a wrestler is an inspiration to many young girls in India. She has shown that with hard work, dedication, and perseverance, it is possible to achieve one’s goals. Despite facing numerous challenges, Sangeeta has continued to pursue her passion for wrestling and has made a name for herself in the sport. She is a role model for young girls who aspire to be wrestlers and has brought recognition to women’s wrestling in India.
- Family Legacy: Sangeeta comes from a family of wrestlers. Her father, Mahavir Singh Phogat, is a former wrestler and coach, who trained his daughters and niece Geeta Phogat to become world-class wrestlers. Sangeeta’s elder sisters, Babita Phogat and Vinesh Phogat, are also accomplished wrestlers.
- Training: Sangeeta received her initial wrestling training from her father and elder sisters. She later trained under the guidance of coach Kuldeep Singh at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) center in Lucknow. Sangeeta also trained with coach Jagmander Singh at the Chaudhary Bharat Singh Memorial Sports School in Jhajjar, Haryana.
- Achievements: Sangeeta Phogat has won several medals at the national and international level. In addition to the medals mentioned earlier, she has won a gold medal in the 2018 Senior National Wrestling Championships and a silver medal in the 2021 Senior National Wrestling Championships. Sangeeta has also won medals in other tournaments, such as the Dave Schultz Memorial International Wrestling Tournament.
- Style of Wrestling: Sangeeta Phogat is known for her aggressive style of wrestling. She is a freestyle wrestler, who competes in the 53 kg weight category. Sangeeta uses her speed, agility, and technique to overpower her opponents.
- Philanthropy: Sangeeta Phogat is involved in philanthropic activities and has worked to promote sports in rural areas of Haryana. She has organized wrestling camps and competitions for young girls and boys in her village and other nearby villages. Sangeeta has also worked to provide sports equipment and facilities to schools and community centers.
- Social Media Presence: Sangeeta Phogat is active on social media and has a large following on platforms such as Instagram and Twitter. She uses her platform to share her training routines, competition updates, and motivational messages for her fans and followers.
For More Checkout:
News Assign – https://newsassign.com/
For Getting Best News regarding Sneakers Checkout:
Sneaker Shokeen – https://sneakershokeen.com/